How to Dab With Cannabis Concentrates
This guide will teach you how to use cannabis concentrate products by vaporizing them through a water pipe, also known as a rig. This method creates a potent effect that is fast acting. It is best for people who need instant pain relief and good for those who don’t have time to smoke an entire joint or simply don’t want to.
Concentrates are also referred to as BHO or Butane Hash Oil. This is due to the extraction method applied which uses butane. These come in a variety of forms including wax, shatters, butter, and oil. Although scientists are still gathering data on dabbing, it’s agreed that using concentrates at a low temperature avoids the carbon compounds produced by combustion and toxins which can be produced by terpenes at high temperatures. This may offer a kinder option for our lungs. Of course, if you want to completely avoid smoking, there are plenty of edible options to choose from.
What you need to dab:
- Cannabis wax, shatters, butter, or oil of your choice
- A 8-10 inch rig (water pipe)
- The joint of each rig comes in 10mm, 14mm, and 18mm sizes
- This part vaporizes the concentrate before it is drawn into the rig.
- We recommend choosing one with a carb cap to seal the ring when you inhale.
- If you don’t like the idea of playing with fire, check out electronic nails (E-Nails) or just use a vaporizer instead.
- Using your torch, heat up the bottom of the nail for about 10 seconds or until it is glowing red. Move the flame around in small slow circles to evenly distribute the heat.
- Safety Step: Shut off the torch before proceeding.
- Let the nail cool down for 40 seconds before adding your concentrate. Don’t rush! If temperatures are too hot, you risk exposing yourself to harmful toxins. If you place your hand ½ inch from the nail and the heat is intense, wait a little longer.
- Gather a small amount of concentrate on your dabber. A quarter of a pea or half the size of a grain of rice is more than enough. Different products and individual preferences might give you reason to increase or reduce this amount. When you are starting out, always use the minimum amount until you become comfortable with the process and learn what works best for you.
- Rub the concentrate in a circular motion around the ring to distribute the concentrate evenly.
- Cap the nail with your carb cap.
- Place your lips around the mouth piece and inhale once.
When you inhale, don’t hold it in. Blow out the smoke right away. Holding it in will not create a stronger hit, it will only make you cough.
It’s important to understand that dabbing is not the same as smoking cannabis flowers. One dab hit is the equivalent of smoking an entire joint instantly. That’s why it’s called concentrated! Smoking offers levels of 10% to 15% THC, but dabbing can produce levels as high as 90%. This makes it dangerous when used carelessly. Too much concentrate has caused people to experience a rapid heartbeat, lose consciousness, and has sent quite a few irresponsible folks to the hospital. But that won’t happen to you because you care about your safety, right? Right!
Heitz, David. “Dabbing: The New Explosive Way to Smoke Marijuana.” Health News, Healthline, 13 Mar. 2015, www.healthline.com/health-news/dabbing-the-new-way-to-smoke-marijuana-031315#1.
Mammoser, Gigen. “Heating Up Marijuana Could Increase Cancer Risk.” Health News, Healthline, 17 Oct. 2017, www.healthline.com/health-news/heating-up-marijuana-could-increase-cancer-risk#1.
Rahn, Bailey. “How to Dab Cannabis Concentrates: A Tutorial.” Cannabis 101, Leafly, 9 Dec. 2015, www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/how-to-dab-cannabis-concentrates.