Rolling a joint or blunt
Do you roll your cannabis flowers the right way? Follow our easy instructions to make a joint or blunt from a bud. Our beginner’s guide also covers directions on lighting and smoking marijuana.
What you will need:
- A Bud of Cannabis
- Loose tobacco (if you are rolling a blunt)
- Rolling Papers
- Filters (optional)
- Lighter or Matches
- Select a nice bud and break it into smaller pieces, distributing it with moderation into the grinder. Do not overfill it. It’s better to grind smaller amounts at a time to maintain a uniform flower texture.
- Grind your weed until it is an even but slightly coarse consistency. Powder or large chunks will cause it to burn unevenly and could create an unpleasant taste.
- Take out a single sheet of rolling paper and place it down on the table in front of you. Be sure that the glue side is up and on top, so that it runs horizontally to your left and right.
- Place a filter at the far left or right of the rolling paper. If you do not have a filter, you can create one by tearing off a ½ inch section of the paper. Roll it into a tight spiral and position it at the end of your paper.
- Distribute the ground cannabis (and tobacco if you are rolling a blunt) in the center and across the paper horizontally. Knowing how much to add to create the right width will take practice. Ideally, you want the finished product to be the size of a standard cigarette or thin cigar.
- Carefully pick up the cannabis filled paper in both hands with palms facing up.
- Lick the glue to make it sticky but please, do not treat it like a lover — save that for later. A little spit goes a long way!
- Use your index and middle fingers along with your thumbs to gently form the paper into a U shape as you coax the marijuana into a nice even line.
- Rock the paper with your thumbs forward and back until it begins to curve into a tube. Take your time to do this right. You do not want any space between the paper and the herb. It should be tight like a tiny, well-constructed pot burrito.
- Some people like to wet the glue at this point if their joint takes a long time to roll. This is awkward and can mess up your work. Do it if you must, but don’t say we didn’t warn you.
- Roll the paper fully to seal your work. This is your moment of triumph or utter failure. If you did it right, nothing will fall out when you hold it vertically.
Smoking your joint or blunt
- Place the filter end into your mouth.
- Use your lighter or match to ignite the other end.
- Lightly suck air through the joint like drinking through a straw in order to light it.
- Puff, puff, pass… or otherwise, take one or two drags (inhale the smoke) and wait. Do not smoke it continually like a cigarette. Give it time to take effect and pace yourself.
We urge you to smoke cannabis for medicinal and recreational purposes responsibly. Inhaling any burning material exposes the body to carcinogens that have been linked to health conditions and the development of disease.
Smoking is one of the oldest practices in use, but it is not the only way to consume marijuana. Read Your Guide to Cannabis Consumption to learn more about the many methods available and their benefits.